Tiv Sophonnora obtained his Master Degree in Business Comparative Law from Lumière Lyon II University in France, where he also completed his Pre-Master Degree (Maîtrise) in Private Law in the field of Enterprise law. He was awarded a full scholarship under the “Eiffel Excellence Scholarship Programme” from the French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs. Nora also undertook an exchange programme to one of the most prestigious French-speaking universities, University of Montreal, in Canada.
Prior to joining us, Nora has been trained in various law firms, both in Cambodia and France. Nora has been with R&T SOK & HENG for more than 3 years. His areas of practice include corporate, commercial, banking and finance, securities, contracts, and investment law.
Nora enters Chambers & Partners' Asia Pacific 2013 and 2014 as associate to watch and has been praised by clients for his display of "very strong commercial awareness during transactions."
M&A / Banking & Finance
- Jointly acting for and advising Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group SpA, the first private group in the global coffee market, in its acquisition of Boncafé Group with respect to Cambodian jurisdiction
- Acting for one of the largest European and German-based financial institution on the due diligence exercise of a leading microfinance institution for its multi-million dollars financing; and on the due diligence of a leading commercial bank in Cambodia for its multi-million dollars financing and equity acquisitio
- Jointly acting for and advising PhillipCapital Group on its acquisition of HwangDBS Commercial Bank Plc. in Cambodia and its wholly-owned subsidiary, HwangDBS Securities (Cambodia) Plc. from Hwang-DBS (Malaysia) Bhd., a Malaysian financial service group
- Jointly acting for and advising E.Sun Commercial Bank Ltd., the flagship banking arm of Taiwan-based E.Sun Financial Holding Co., on its acquisition of 70% stake in Cambodia’s Union Commercial Bank Plc.
- Acting for and advising Forte Insurance (Cambodia) Plc., Cambodia’s leading insurance company, on its investment restructuring and various legal matters
- Acting for and advising various private companies in relation to their IPO exercises for the purpose of listing on the Cambodia Securities Exchanges
General Corporate Commercial
- Advising the Embassy of the Republic of Singapore to Cambodia on its public procurement activities
- Advising ASICS Trading Co., Ltd., a Japan-based company mainly engaged in the sale of shoes and sport materials, on its manufacturing agreement with its Cambodian manufacturers
- Advising a global traveler retailer in relation to its existing concession agreement with an operator of Cambodian International Airport and an alleged unfair treatment and discriminative tender against the airport operator
- Acting for the Phnom Penh City Hall in the reviewing and advising on a concession agreement with a French global leader in lighting and electrical system industry on a hundred million dollars project
- Acting for a UK-based leading global investment banking and investment management group in its joint venture project on renewable energy and cleantech in Cambodia
- Assisting in the representation of the Cambodian National Petroleum Authority in connection with its negotiation for and reviewing of a Master Concession Agreement with a Cambodian leading conglomerate
- Advising Cambodian largest conglomerate in the structuring of security interest to be offered to a Chinese multinational networking and telecommunication equipment and services company
- Assisting Malaysian’s largest financial services group in taking charges over shares of a Cambodian subsidiary of the a Malaysian public listed company
- Jointly acting for an Asian largest retailing market group on its equity acquisition of a majority stake in Cambodian largest supermarket
- Acting for Vattanac Properties Limited in relation to the preparation of leases of offices and retail outlets of its first high-rise building, Vattanac Capital Tower; Acting for and advising Emerging Market Group Holding and its investment firm in relation to their business ventures in Cambodia and cross-borders transaction
- Acting for and representing Maersk (Cambodia) and its partner in the negotiation with the General Department of Customs and Excise
- Assisting in and advising on the acquisition of economic land concessions for multi-million dollar agro-industrial projects in Cambodia for various companies, including Golden Land Berhad, FELCRA Berhad, Sumifru Corporation and other foreign based investment
- Advising various foreign investors with regards to their investments in properties in Cambodia including advising on foreign ownership structure
- Acting for and advising Provident Capital in relation to the large-scale due diligence and acquisition of the BTS tower infrastructure from one of the mobile and telecommunication leader in Cambodia
- Conducting comprehensive legal due diligence on and advising in the acquisition of private-owned and state-owned properties, island concession, economic land concession, etc
Casino / Lottery / Gaming
- Acting for and advising RGB International Bhd. in relation to its various business investment in Cambodia, including the setting up and closing down of its subsidiaries, advising on legal compliance, properties acquisition, licensing requirement, commercial disputes, board and shareholder restructuring, and other general advices
- Acting for and advising an Australia-listed company in its acquisition of 100% stake in a Cambodian casino
- Advising a Hong-Kong listed Macau casino and hotel operator on its potential investment in Cambodia
- Acting for and advising VW Win Holding Plc., Cambodia’s 5D lottery operator, with regard to regulatory compliances in its business operations
- Assisting in and advising on the business set-up, exit strategies, legal compliance, and other general advices of various international companies in relation to their business in Cambodia, including Nippon Express, Du Pont (Cambodia), Tan Chong Group, Panasonic Corporation, CNOOC International Ltd., and others
- Initial Public Offering Mechanism in Cambodia, Cambodia Yearbook of Comparative Legal Studies, 3rd edition (2012), Cambodian Society of Comparative Law