Stay up to date with legal developments in Cambodia.
The General Department of Immigration of the Ministry of Interior of Cambodia issued on 27 April 2020 Letter No. 0183 on Non-Extension Visa for Foreigners who have not registered in the foreigners present in Cambodia System ("FPCS").
FPCS was put in place in 2010 with the aim of effectively enforcing the Cambodian Law on Immigration. The Letter is issued in line with Guideline No. 028 dated 19 July 2019 on the Management of Foreigner’s Presence in the Kingdom of Cambodia (“Guideline”), which follows Guideline No. 009 dated 25 March 2010 on the Management of Foreigner’s Presence in the Kingdom of Cambodia. This Guideline requires the owners or possessors (but not limited to foreign owners or possessors) of all accommodations to report foreigners’ presence in their places of accommodation to the Police Commune-Sangkat Office within the prescribed period.
This Update provides a summary of the key labour law developments in Cambodia in the first quarter of 2020. These include the following:
• Payment Schedule for Monthly Contribution to National Social Security Fund (NSSF) for March 2020
• Tax Exemption on Seniority Payment from 2020
• Requirement to Update Employees’ Phone Numbers
• Notification on Additional Reminders on Preventive Measures for COVID-19 at Factories, Enterprises, Establishments
• Preventive Measures for COVID-19 and other Respiratory Diseases at the Technical and Vocational Education Training Institutions
• Guideline on Employment Contract Suspension, Soft Skill Course Registration and Suspension of Monthly Contribution to NSSF for Garment, Textile, Footwear and Traveling Products and Bag Sectors Suffering from Insufficiency of Raw Materials Caused by COVID-19
• Inter-ministerial Inspectors for Manufacturing Sector
• Use of Collective Infirmary and Health Base
• Protection of Professional Secrecy by Labour Inspectors
• Implementation of the Compensation for Special Leave
• Law on Amendment to the Law on Trade Union
Guideline on Health and Livelihood Protection of Cambodian International Migrants and Returnees During COVID-19 Containment
On 29 April 2020, the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training issued Guideline No. 048/20 MLVT on Health and Livelihood Protection of Cambodian International Migrants and Returnees During COVID-19 Containment (“Guideline”). The Guideline mandates the returnees to, among other things, follow the guidelines of the competent authority at the land border and airport for health check measure implementation and 14-day quarantine after arrival, and contact the local authorities for intervention if any problem affecting their daily livelihood during the COVID-19 containment arises.